Thursday, August 17, 2006

Debbie Sings the Hits

My 10-year high school reunion passed last year, for me quite unceremoniously. I went to one high school (North Hollywood magnet) for 10th grade, where I had good friends. And then I transferred to another school (Beverly Hills High, said only in a hushed voice), from which I would graduate after two more years, to which I never felt connected—and where I made exactly two good friends who are still very close to me. So it was hardly a tough decision not to fly across country to try to manufacture some emotion in a creepy La Meridien ballroom.

My ‘Tross had a different experience. He was born and bred in the Bay Area, and still living in Oakland with much pride when it came time for his 20-year Berkeley High School reunion two years ago. So he went. And I wasn’t there, so I don’t know the details, but here’s my impression of the message he took away from it: Contrary to the cliché about life being short, it’s actually not short at all (barring an unexpected tragedy). It’s long, and it can be tedious. You’ve got to be in it with the right person for the right reasons, or at least not in it with the wrong person for the wrong reasons. You have to make choices in life and in love that are sustainable and won’t eventually bore you or ruin you—insofar as you can ever see any of this coming (which very often you can when you don't ignore obvious things). He saw people who had been married and divorced and have teenage kids. And married again. Or whatever their circumstances. Life is long, things happen.

We have this wicked tendency to front load our lives, and when you see yourself barreling toward 30—as I am—you want to keep yourself from going crazy on your birthday by making sure you’ve done everything, in spite of your suspicion that it doesn’t matter if you have or haven’t. (By the way, my older sister’s 30th birthday a year ago went over OK, without any emotional breakdowns. Except that my doting auntie in Delaware hosted a party for which she bought a mylar balloon that said on it “Still Wild at 30!” This one detail understandably made my sister want to jump out a window.)

I had a counselor at summer camp named Debbie. I think she may have been my counselor at least two years in a row, because I remember her so well. I remember her figure was very voluptuous, and she used to show it off at the pool in a red one-piece bathing suit with black mesh triangles at the thighs and cleavage, and I remember she was sweet as pie and treated her campers like real friends, and I remember that she used to put on a karaoke track in her boom box and sing Madonna’s “Crazy for You” for us while we went to sleep at night in our cabin. She had a voice like a bell. Because I imagined that, as a counselor, Debbie was so much older than we were as campers, I’m sure I thought she was a total grown-up. I probably thought she had a cool car (a Volkswagon Cabriolet maybe? Chrysler LaBaron convertible?), paid a mortgage on a great house, had a fab boyfriend or husband with an awesome mid-‘80’s hairdo, and was generally all set up. But in reality, she was probably 17 when I was 10. So maybe she’s only 36 now. And maybe she still doesn’t have everything all set up. Because I certainly don’t yet. And that’s OK. That’s B.R.U.N.C.H.!

Anyway, while I will be wearing an elegant floor-length navy silk dupioni bridesmaid gown at a very important wedding in San Francisco this weekend, my delightfully easygoing Midwest ex-boyfriend will be attending his 10-year high school reunion in Champaign. I wonder what he’ll find there.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Not VN? You didn't want to run with the Wolves, like me and eDubin? Maybe she discouraged you. I think I had a better time there than she did.

Erica said...

It's weird, I never think of Champaign as a place where people grow up. Although plenty of them obviously do.

Dubin said...

That's a good question. I totally can't remember why Younger Dubin didn't go to Van Nuys. I think it's cause all her friends went to NoHo and for me all my friends went to Van Nuys.

suzanne said...

Gurl: those are exactly the sorts of revelations about life that I wanted to avoid by not attending my 10th high school reunion. Some people have big events, like weddings and babies. But for others, like me, a big event is finding good coffee within close proximity to your office. Go fig.

mexi melt said...

in the past i would have never given your 'tross any props for anything because i ain't shy about believing him to be worhtless. as i grow i have learned that everyone that we encounter in live will make some sort fo impact - big, small, pivotal, inconsequential, etc. - and so i give him props for the sage comment.

life is LOOOOOONG.
he should know...hehehe

i was impressed at how ageless the girls seemed at my 10 year reunion.
the single ones, that is. and the pregnant ones with their pregnant glow looked gorgeous. some looked sad and otheres seemed far too happy, while others didn't bother to show. basically, it's pointless to compare yourself to the rst of world, just enjoy the ride.