Friday, April 13, 2007

Crazy Cat Lady

...But not in the way you might think. More like Crazy-Cat Lady. That is, I am a lady who has a cat who is real crazy. I love him, and have historically let him do whatever he's wanted, and generally spoiled him, and made excuses for some suspicious behavior. But it's time to come out from behind the veil of secrecy.

(<---Cali holding down the mini New York fort before the move to his namesake state.)
My cat's pathology is that he eats clothes. This started out as a more manageable, occasional deviance. He would eat things that were stringy, like bathing suits, bras, camisoles, and nightie straps. I thought this seemed OK-ish because it's commonly known that cats like yarn and string and stuff. Although I did think it was a bit odd that he wasn't just severing these strings, he was chewing them up and swallowing them into his belly.

Lately, it's gotten way worse. He's emboldened. He slides the closet doors open with his head, knocks pants and other knit garments on hangers right off the closet rod, and gnaws holes in them and leaves them right there on the floor (R.I.P perfect, classic off-the-shoulders sweater, 09/2001-10/2006). He's insidious. When I went to meet my newborn play niece in the hospital, I came straight from the gym. From my gym bag, I pulled my red-and-gray striped shirt--actually the same soft shirt I had worn on my first date with the blue-eyed-guy--and it was then I discovered all the holes in the arms. And it was all I had packed to wear. Nice, right?

A few days ago, I caught Mister Baby red handed, in the hallway, looking all Urkel-style did I do that? with bits of my brand new bikini around him (it's one of the two new ones I bought after he spent the last year destroying the rest of my vast collection), which he had pulled somehow from a closed bathroom cupboard, and drawn out of a basket where it was hidden, on top of which I'd placed a box as another line of defense. See how well that worked.

That last event was the catalyst for me taking the little guy to the vet today. Needless to say, this dude was not happy about the trip and did some nasty things to demonstrate that. Nearly $200 worth of blood work later, the vet tells me my cat might benefit from Prozac, which they can call into my local CVS pharmacy.

Prozac. My cat is going to have Prozac. Have I already made him that neurotic after only two and a half years in my charge? Jeez. Oy. Apparently it runs in the family.

Update: Some Web research has revealed that this condition is called Pica. Treatments vary. Has anyone experienced anything like this with a pet? Would appreciate any input.

8 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, what an unfortunate combination, of a cat that eats clothes and an owner who is attuned to her wardrobe. You've been very understanding, considering the losses you've suffered.

mexi melt said...

i love that this is tagged : cali &
oy.


that cat is CRAZY! watch out, he might eat your house!

Alicia said...

My cat Felix eats my clothes as well. I had to install a wooden dowel on my closet door to prevent him from opening it and enjoying a buffet. He too started with just straps, and has graduated to full items of clothing. No little holes for me, no, entire arms are missing! He seems to pass most of it, and my Vet feels it is an anxiety disorder (NICE!). I would love to know how the Prozac is working-because my wardrobe is quickly shrinking! One option are those dehydrated chicken breast strips for dogs....Felix seems to work out some of his chewing anxiety on those...although he still prefers Polar Fleece and Cotton when given the choice.

Alicia said...

My cat Felix eats my clothes as well. I had to install a wooden dowel on my closet door to prevent him from opening it and enjoying a buffet. He too started with just straps, and has graduated to full items of clothing. No little holes for me, no, entire arms are missing! He seems to pass most of it, and my Vet feels it is an anxiety disorder (NICE!). I would love to know how the Prozac is working-because my wardrobe is quickly shrinking! One option are those dehydrated chicken breast strips for dogs....Felix seems to work out some of his chewing anxiety on those...although he still prefers Polar Fleece and Cotton when given the choice.

Kim said...

OMG, my 5 year old cat Sylvester just started out a few years ago chewing on my socks. Now no ones socks are safe, he has even taken to start chewing on them while they are on your feet. He has taken out 4 favorite sweaters, usually an entire arm. Sweatshirts, electrical cords, plants. He may be bored altho we have given him many toys, he won't tollerate another cat in the house.He scares the heck out of me, He is like a giant (28 lbs) moth. Help

Kim said...

I know this is a few years too late, but I was just doing some googling this morning and your blog came up when I was trying to figure out why my kittens annihilated the rest of my dress last night.
my kittens are 6 and 7 months old and I thought they just liked the strings (as it has been just strings so far- and ski hats with poof balls on them) until I took a look at my dress this morning and realized the straps they had previously chewed through (I had plans on sewing back together) were completely gone down to the seam and even some of the dress itself was gone.
My cats have plenty of toys, food and water so I was sort of shocked (again).
I'm wondering what kind of action you ended up taking with your cat after you took him to the vet? And how that's worked out? I've never had a cat act this way and vet bills are rather ridiculous sometimes.

lil miss dubin said...

Hi Kimberly,
How funny. I have not updated this blog in years. All I can say is that my cat is now about six, and appears to be munchie-free. He just slowly (ever so slowly and expensively) grew out of it on his own. Best of luck!

julianyway said...

I am Canadian but live in Cambodia with two Cambodian cats that demanded to be taken in and fed. The male just ate ME for fun (very violent kitten, but he is alright now); the female, sweet little thing but very vocal, is the one who has destroyed all my clothes and the reason I am essentially naked. I kind of think it is emotional. She sometimes goes to eat my clothes while I am wearing them, realized what she's doing, then stops, like a smoker trying not to smoke. Of course all cats eat elastic bands because they are delicious. Ziggy never gets sick in spite of eating huge hunks of tee-shirts. I have another friend with a Cambodian female cat who has eaten most of her bedsheets and pillowcases. Both cats are well-fed and healthy. My friend feeds her cat vet-prescribed anti-hairball everything and the cat is fine apart from being stuffed with sheets. Also a street kitten originally.