Monday, February 05, 2007

He Said She Said

I didn't have a sip to drink in January, in an effort to reset after the holidays and a New Year's Eve party in Oakland involving wigs. At first, not drinking was hard, then it got real easy, then it got kind of boring. So on February 1, after I had fulfilled my pledge to myself to lay off for the first month of the year, I had two glasses of wine with some great old pals from 10th grade.* Then I spent the weekend with a lousy cold and haven't been motivated to drink since.

But I'll tell you what: spend an hour trolling MySpace indiscriminately, and you'll find a reason to crack a bottle of wine at home. In addition to making resolutions about no booze and a slightly uncanny-for-a-Dubin dedication to Equinox, I should have maybe resolved to un-MySpace my life. I mean, Jesus, I'm 29-and-a-half (gulp) years old, and it's kind of silly that I still care about this juvenile business. Last year, between the delightfully easygoing Midwesterner and the blue-eyed guy, I tried to go out with a boy who was 38 and so deeply into his bulletin postings and Top 8 that it was kind of a deal breaker, a sign of something more dire. A sign of not growing up, like failing to pay a stack of parking tickets, or not having health insurance, or being a dude who buys plastic cups to drink out of at home so he doesn't have to wash a dish.

*I had dinner and post-dinner mini-bar drinks in a Beverly Wilshire hotel room with three boys from North Hollywood high, where I went to school in 1992. I so rarely have a chance to really hear the perspective of straight men, because all my closest confidants are girls, and generally my closest male friends are gay (fashion industry gay, no less), and my boyfriend doesn't count because I'm too involved with that to get any real perspective. (Plus he prefers antique shopping while the game is on, so he's a special case, bless your heart, baby.) And my dad doesn't count because he's my dad. Anyway, I recommend listening to men once in a while, if you get the chance. It's mind blowing, actually.

3 comments:

mexi melt said...

do you really have freinds that are boys? how does that work?
i'm researching the age-old question, "can men and women be friends?"

so far the answer is no, unless they are gay.

please post more about this subject.

Anonymous Content said...

I am NOT A FASHION GAY! I am an advertising gay!

Anonymous Content said...

wait what the hell is outgoing mail on treo? why does it say that?