Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Lord's Day

I don't typically work out on Sunday; it's my day of rest.

But tonight I felt I should go to the gym, because I couldn't work out Thursday on account of work, and I couldn't work out yesterday on account of a V.I. birthday brunch, and I couldn't work out this morning on account of a pumpkin festival in Calabasas. So I tried to get into the gym this evening before it closed at 7, but I only succeeded in getting there at 6:40, which was only enough time to take a steam—which I decided was a delightfully deserved thing anyway, and a thing I never do during the week when the pace is not suitable for soothing oneself with steam, which would add 10 minutes one does not have onto one's routine.

But tonight there was time only for steam. And, beginning in the steam room, and then continuing into the locker room until long after closing time, I had what may truly be the most surreal conversation I have had ever at the gym, which is saying a lot. I want to retell it here, this conversation I had with the Thai trannie, but it was very unusual and would not stand up to translation in blog form, I'm sure of it. I just have never heard such strange words uttered. I just— I— Weird.

I will say that there is something to a slow-paced Sunday evening, and to devoting a time block to myself without any expectations of particular greatness or specific achievement. The driving without traffic, the parking in the prime ground-level spot without competition or the necessity to slither through the 12-inch gap left between mine and the next car (which not infrequently happens to be a Yukon parked in a compact space), the quiet, the steam, the not rushing back to work or to dinner or to the store or to quickly style my hair for this or that thing—it's nice.

No, this is not much of a story. But it had been forever since I'd blogged and apparently I needed to dip a toe back in before I say anything sensible.

Is anyone still out there? I'm sorry I left you. It's just that, these days, the best of my stories are not suitable for publication on the Internet.

12 comments:

KWarren said...

Hey,

I've been reading your stuff for a while now after I randomly stumbled upon your blog, and I have to say that I really like what I'm reading!

Anyway, the reason I'm finally leaving a comment is that I'm pretty damn sure I saw one of your friends from your various summer expeditions today. I was at AIDS Walk LA, and she was hanging around the swingset with two of the most ADORABLE kids along with a very adoring husband.

Dubin's friend, your daughter is so cute!

Keep it up, some of us are still here reading!

lil miss dubin said...

That's fabulous. I'm so touched that I have a loyal reader!

I am trying to solve the mystery of who this friend is with the cute daughter (although, since I only have one friend in L.A. with two kids, I can probably guess)... and who you are! Mysterious kwarren... do you have a real name, and do we know each other in real life?

KWarren said...

Haha, no, I'm fairly certain that the two of us have never met...unless you make it a habit to hang out with college students.

Seriously, it was incredibly refreshing to see such a happy family all together to support a great cause.

KWarren said...

Oh, I forgot. One of my friends thought the little girl (I believe the husband pushing her on the swing said her name was Naomi?) was so cute that she took some great pictures of her enjoying swinging. If I can, I'll get the pictures so that you can give them to your friend if you like.

Avril Love said...

Kwarren that would be great! I remember the girl you are talking about, and I believe she is a CSUN student. Thanks

KWarren said...

Hey, no problem. I'll get right on it after I finish my paper on the cultural and social relevancies of Green Street Hooligans.

P.S.
I was considering approaching you to compliment Dubin's blog, but then I realized I was wearing my Stanford hat. That wouldn't have been a great start! ;)

lil miss dubin said...

OK, I am still perplexed by how everybody seems to know everybody if we've actually never met. Like, how did you know Avril and fam were friends of mine? I assume it has something to do with the Internets.

Anyway, yes, those kids are dolls. And the apparently adoring husband was pleased to hear that he had passers by fooled!

KWarren said...

I've been a devoted reader since...well, for quite a long time, so I've seen many of your trip pictures and such.

Haha, don't worry. I'm just a harmless journalism student.

lil miss dubin said...

I love it. You seem very intrepid. Let me know if you are looking for an internship at a special events trade magazine anytime soon...

KWarren said...

You say intrepid, my parents say annoying. ;)

Diet Coke and a Side of Fries said...

i want the stories unfit for print!!!

Craig@work said...

I'm with "Diet Coke" regarding your other stories!!!

Stumbled on your blog a few weeks ago, and have been waiting to see more of your writing. Looking forward to more!

C