Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

It seems my parents are getting awfully close to selling the house I grew up in. We moved in there when I was three-ish, and now I'm almost 30, and I'm trying to be pragmatic about it. At least I hope they get a fair price, and that some family with two cute little curly-haired pudgy girls moves in. So I'm sentimental and change resistant, but I can deal with this.

The idea of that address not belonging to the Dubins anymore has always been heartbreaking, when I've thought about it. That's the address that's been on my driver's license consistently, through probably 25 rental addresses of my own in four other cities. But now it's got to be time for the next chapter. As my mom told me on the cell when I was browsing the racks of Forever21 in the mall last night with my fountain Diet Coke, "That part of our lives is over. You girls are all grown up. It's a new era." Sniff.

Hi A,

As an undergraduate my favorite campus building was Sterling Memorial Library. There are simply no words adequate to describe the place, inside or out, or how I felt in it. If I must have a religion then it consists of books and my cathedrals are the great libraries. Most of my education occurred alone in the stacks of Sterling. The building was constructed in the depths of the depression, a time when Yale had money from hugely successful benefactors and New Haven was filled with skilled Italian immigrants—hungry for work. It is hard to imagine how it could ever be recreated absenting those circumstances.

There is a story, probably apocryphal, concerning Sterling’s opening in 1933. Yale in general employs very low-key signs to define its buildings. It is said that the University Librarian wanted to place a typically small sign outside the building which read, “This is NOT the Library. The Library is inside.” Even if untrue it is a great story with an important message.

Our house was wonderful chiefly for what was inside. The most important product of that experience is the emergence of two smart, talented and generally wonderful young women who are well poised to make their own homes in the coming years. Your Mom and I look forward (keina hora) to events in these. Furthermore our new home, even among the Topangan hippies, artists and nouveau riche lawyers, will always welcome you.

XO,

Dad and Mom

5 comments:

mexi melt said...

I LOVE STUBBS DUBIN!

i like to think of myself as a dubin sometimes.
i've sat at the kitchen table on vestone way and had bagels with mom and dad.
i've grabbed my sweater on the way out to a movie upon the suggestion of linda.
i've dipped in the pool and sunned with my sistas.
i've had a milestone girl's-night-in bachelorette party sending off our first lady into that next era.

i've had some great times at vestone way. sniff.

Dubin said...

GAHAHAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sublime.

Philosophical.

Poet.

Actor.

Dancer.

Model.

M.D.

Ph.D.

That's our Dad...

Megan said...

You know, we've (well, eDubin and I) talked about how similar our Dads are, but I am absolutely positive my father would never write us a letter like that. I mean, we're always welcome and we know that, but Dad just wouldn't write that letter.

Heddaville said...

Wow, love that letter.

amanda bee said...

Oh man. I think that if my parents knew I was mourning the house I grew up in they would say something like "what?" and that would be that.