Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Skim and Three Sweet-n-Lows

This is the episode of Sex & the City I love: the one where she finds a rodent crawling around in the kitchen she never uses. Of all the episodes, this is the one I connect with the most. You haven't experienced true horror unless you've cohabitated with live rodents. (Actually, my best pal from grad school had it worse, in her West 10th counterpart to my East 10th apartment, when she woke up to find a rat crawling in her hair. And she is so understated, it took her days to even tell me about that. I guess she was trying to block it out. But you can bet I milked my own rat stories for all they were worth, which is a lot.)

Anyway, so in this episode, around the time Baryshnikov kills the critter with the risotto pan, he wants to make espresso, but Carrie says she doesn't have an espresso machine. He says, "You call yourself a writer and you don't have an espresso machine?"

Sold. Now I am on target.com and I want to buy an espresso machine. Typically people get espresso machines when they register for their wedding gifts, right?, and I'm not engaged, but I drink a lot of coffee and I want an espresso machine now. And I think I deserve it.

My friend from work always says, "I work hard. I'm a good person. I would just like someone to give me $500,000 to $750,000. I deserve it." (He also buys lotto tickets and says, "You gotta play to win, gurrrl.") While no one's come through with the cash yet, I do think he already has an espresso machine. He and I agree that coffee, like red wine and Diet Coke, are among God's small ways of showing His love for us.

1 comment:

mexi melt said...

my espresso machine just came back from the shop. i don't know how i lived without one!

he's my morning ritual and the envy of any italian that rolls through my kitchen. you get instant kitchen street-cred with the machine.

congrats!