Thursday, March 01, 2007

If Your Mother Knew You Were Scaling That Building, Oy

My blue-eyed guy was cracking me up last night. He goes, "I'm going to tell you a joke I saw in a movie on the plane. I wouldn't have understood it at all, except that I'm dating you. It goes like this. Two Jews were sent to assassinate Hitler. They get intelligence about where he's going to be at 12:30, so they go there with their rifles and wait for him. 12:30, no Hitler. 12:45, No Hitler. Now it's 1, 1:30, no sign of Hitler. One says to the other, 'Oy, I hope nothing happened to him.'" Yes, dating me would help anyone understand that joke. Look, I worry, OK? So call me, let me know you're fine, and meanwhile drive safely, for god's sake use your turn signals for once, and don't take any unnecessary risks.

Earlier this week I saw a news clip of some British or French daredevil free-climbing the highest building in Dubai or somewhere. And I had to giggle, thinking about how that flies in the face of every salient Jewish value. Values like planning for the future, securing the wellbeing of posterity to the extent posible, being generally careful and unnecessary-risk averse. The view must be somthin from up there, but I'll never know.

1 comment:

Erica said...

every salient Jewish value. Values like planning for the future, securing the wellbeing of posterity to the extent posible

I think I win the Jewish Award: I just opened a 529. I don't have a baby, I don't even have a proper boyfriend - hell, I don't even have a casserole dish - but my progeny has a college savings account with $25 in it.